Friday, April 17, 2009

Everything is Better with an Egg on Top

This "Everything is Better with an Egg on Top" article has inspired much of my cooking lately.

I put this article to use straight away. For a quick low-effort dinner, I sauteed the last of the salad spinach with garlic and a dash of leftover evaporated milk and the last tablespoon of butter. Then stirred in cooked whole wheat pasta, and topped it with a two fried eggs. I sprinkled this with pinenuts and parm for good measure.

It was awesome.

Since this pasta had no veggies to chop and a new CSA delivery was scheduled for the next day, i opted to cut up the remaining roots from the last box (in this case beets and yams) and toss them in olive oil to roast at 350 for 40 minutes or so while preparing the pasta. After we were done eating dinner, I moved these into pyrex for lunches or to make a hash with some morning, because hash is an awesome way to eat fried eggs.

I dealt with a mountain of bolting kale from the garden with the new fried egg article ideas. For breakfast, i tossed fresh kale into the saute pan to steam and then added some crushed garlic, white beans from my latest slow cooker staple making* and again topped this with fried egg and parmesan. So far the husband seems happy to be enjoying the fried eggs and my trainer did tell me to eat more protein right? After a long work day plus night class, I again reached for a fried egg to top the last of the left over chow mien for a late dinner. It was way better than when it was delivered.

Content with the fried egg trend, the next morning i noted some aging tortillas in the fridge and thought: I should try chilaquiles! This was shockingly easy - i just chopped 3 corn tortillas into strips, doused them with verde salsa, added some cream cheese and covered it while i made coffee. After the tortillas looked like they had absorbed the salsa, I cracked two eggs on top, put the lid back in for a couple of minutes and voila, yummy breakfast for two that was reminiscent of something we ate on a beach in Mazatlan.

*once a week I try to remember to cook some beans in the slow cooker. You just toss in a cup or two of dried beans, 2 cups of water per cup of bean and turn it on high, 3-4 hours later you have cooked beans that you can use for the week. Just freeze what you don't get to that week. I like canned beans too, but this is cheaper.

3 comments:

  1. This generation is teaching the former! I copied Chilaquiles and Beans in the slow cooker to try soon. Did you know that in Malaysia they add the hard boiled eggs into nasi lemak and also a fried egg on burgers!
    But some folk now are avoiding the yolks to minimize Cholesterol issues. mommers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat Burger makes a great burger with a fried egg, too. A great Las Vegas hangover cure!
    You won't regret the Chilaquiles.YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, roasted beets! I've never had them but they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete